Tuesday, June 21, 2011

introductions are needed:

Somehow word got out.  Or, maybe it just slipped out of my mouth that I blog and thus, have suddenly, magically become Team Cuba's designated blog-girl.

Since it will become official with the posting of this blog, I think I should introduce myself.

Hi!  My name is Esther, like the book, and I live the glorious life of a history teacher during the school year, which I find inspiring and beautiful on most days.  In the spring, I heard from Seth, one of the pastors on staff at my church,  Highway Community share about how he was leading a trip to Cuba during the summer. 

To Cuba?

How wicked (pardon my "East Coast-ness") cool is that?!

For those of you aren't history teachers (and consequently, don't have to memorize random facts about the political history of nations for a living), this is why Cuba is such a fascinating place to visit:

1) Cuba is one of five communist countries left in the world.

2) Cuba and the U.S. haven't really been on friendly terms since the Cold War.

3) The U.S. government has attempted to oust their former leader, Fidel Castro multiple times (638, if you wanna be exact, according to Castro).

4)  Guantanamo Bay, the military base that until recently held most of America's War on Terror suspects, is in Cuba.

5) It has historically been very difficult to visit Cuba if you are an American citizen. 


Cuba is also really interesting to me because it's a communist country.

Communism has left a permanent imprint on my family lineage, from my great grandparents down to my parents.  Both my parents grew up during the Communist Revolution in China and they also, to this day, love Jesus dearly.  But, how does the communism and lovin' Jesus thing work together, exactly?

For Cubans, more specifically, they were asked during the revolution to pledge their allegiance - which meant that to be a Cuban citizen was to embrace the title of "atheist."  What does it look like to love Jesus authentically in a communist country?  And, what does it mean to cross cultural and language barriers to partner with them in building the Kingdom of Heaven that Jesus preached so much about in the Scriptures?

These are just some things I'm thinking about as our Team, Rachel, Oscar, Seth, Paul, Christina, and I prepare for Cuba.  Thank you for listening and coming along for the journey, both in prayer and love for us and the gospel....

No comments:

Post a Comment