Saturday, June 25, 2011

Hello from Oscar


Hi, my name is Oscar. I was born in Cuba. Here you see me eating a popular dessert in Cuba -- cheese and guava paste.


When my family and I left Cuba for the US, I was a passenger in what was probably the first hijacking of a Cuban airplane in route to Miami, so instead of landing in Miami in 45 minutes, we landed in Kingston, Jamaica. Eventually we made our way to Miami – two days later.


I was 17 when hearing an evangelist speak I felt that God was calling me for mission service but did not know where. The only place I could think of was Cuba because it was close to my heart, but that seemed impossible at that time.

Where I lived before I left Cuba

Last year I went with my wife Rachel to Cuba – first time since I left 50 years ago.It was through this trip and visiting 4 pastors that I heard God’s whisper – “now is the time to do something in Cuba.” As we talked with the pastors we marveled at their ability to do so much for their communities with such limited resources.
House in Cuba where my mom grew up
Hearing from the pastors the circumstances in their life when God called them, how God moves in their lives and the community, made me realize that God could use me to walk beside them in their work. And that’s why I’m going to Cuba. I want to be there to love, encourage, and serve a community that’s always had my heart.

But our team is not going alone. God has touched the heart of many – friends, family, our brothers and sisters in Christ, our faith communities – who have prayed with us, contributed, supported us. They too are responding to God’s whisper to love, encourage, and serve – to be an instrument to help others find Jesus in Cuba.

- Oscar -

2 comments:

  1. Oscar, Rachel and Paul.... Thank you all for sharing your convictions and reasons for going to Cuba. I look forward to your blogs and photos AND your reports on what God does through each of you in the group while you are on your mission.

    Now..... exactly what is that in Oscar's mouth?????? Cheetos, carrot?????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Oscar. You know, you and your friends that you brought to El Templo years ago for a summer of service had a tremendous influence on stirring my heart toward missions. You never know what God may bring when you follow your heart and what He's put on it.

    ReplyDelete